Fairtrade

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

In my humanities class, we are doing a project about child labour  happening today. I choose to do child labor in Ghana in Africa. Where many children are involved with child labour. If you didn't know if I'm not wrong, Ghana in Africa produces over 50% percent of the chocolate in the world. That is a lot. A lot of children there are sent a way to work at cocoa farms, in order to help their families survive. You may think that it is not that bad, but when the kids relatives send them away they don't know what danger they are putting the child in. The children have very bad living conditions and they get very little education if they even get education. Just think of a child who is five to seventeen years old working in a cocoa field, more then 12 hours a day! It doesn't sound right does it? So if you buy chocolate that doesn't have a fairtrade symbol on it, the chocolate may have involved child labour. BUT if you buy chocolate with a fairtrade mark on it it has not been involved with child labour! I'm not saying this because I want to advertise 'Fairtrade' or not make you enjoy your chocolate. I am saying this because I think people should know about it!







No comments

Post a Comment

.. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.